Skip to content Skip to footer

Debt Advice

What you can expect from Citizens Advice Plymouth Debt Advice

A Citizens Advice debt adviser will help you understand your rights and responsibilities and those of your creditors.

Our debt advice service is free, confidential and impartial.  If you wish to cancel advice you can do so at no cost to you.

If you wish to access our debt advice, please firstly call the Adviceline on 0808 278 7910.

If you need advice beyond this, you will be referred to our service.

Changes to MaPS casework provision

Citizens Advice Plymouth are currently funded by the Money and Pension Service (MaPS) to provide our debt advice and casework service.

This contract has recently been re-tendered and the way that this service is delivered is changing. As a result, we are not able to take on any new clients for casework services. We are continuing to provide debt advice and information for the time being.

We can no longer

  • Speak to creditors or agencies on your behalf
  • To negotiate with creditors on your behalf
  • Provide any casework support

We can:

  • Explore your financial circumstances and the nature of your debts
  • Provide advice on the options that may be available to you
  • Signpost and refer you to other services that could help you

Confidentiality and Consent

The records we keep are for the use of Citizens Advice Plymouth only.  We will not tell anyone about your enquiry and we will not pass your sensitive personal information to any third party without your permission, other than in exceptional circumstances.  

An advice appointment with us

Your adviser will:

  • Help you to explore your debt problem
  • Look for ways to increase your income and reduce your outgoings
  • Explain the debt options you have and how they will affect you
  • Keep you informed about any action we take and the progress of your enquiry

In return, we ask that you:

  • Attend all appointments we arrange for you  (or let us know if you can’t)
  • Let us know if there is a change in your circumstances that may be affect your case (such as a birth of a child, an increase or reduction in your income etc).
  • Provide all the information and the evidence your adviser asks for,  e.g. evidence of your income, spending and debts.  Failure to tell us everything may mean our advice is not correct.
  • Do not borrow more money or enter into a new credit agreement.

Please note:

Creditors may continue to add interest and charges to your debt.

Your credit rating could be affected if you enter into a payment arrangement or insolvency solution

It is important that you continue to pay all your priority bills.  

Trusted Partners

In some circumstances we may refer you to a trusted partner for further help.  This may be within the Citizens Advice service or outside of it.  We regularly review all our trusted partners to ensure they meet the highest standards of customer service and quality advice.

Who to complain to

Please email or write to the Chair of the Trustee Board at the address below:   Citizens Advice Plymouth 3rd Floor Cobourg House Mayflower Street, Plymouth PL1 1QX  

To contact the Citizens Advice Feedback team: 03000 231 900

Financial Conduct Authority and Complaints

Our debt advice service is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).  If you are not happy with the service provided to you, please follow our complaints procedure.  If you are not happy with our final response you can take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.  Further information can be found at

Extra help Do you need any extra help, for example, sign language, large print or interpreter service?  If so, please let your adviser know