I’ve got loads of problems with my house that I’ve been putting off fixing – a faulty boiler, a window that won’t shut properly, broken light fittings. The list goes on! I want to sort it out but I’ve had bad experiences with dodgy builders in the past. How do I find someone I can trust?

Our Advisor Says

Making home improvements can be stressful, but there are a few steps you can follow to  help it go smoothly.  

First, find a Trading Standards ‘approved trader’. You can look for one in your area online or  use the Government’s approved trader scheme TrustMark.  

It’s also worth checking if they’re a current member of a trade body. Trade bodies have  codes of practice and can help resolve problems if things go wrong. Ask who they’re  registered with and then check the trade body’s website. 

For any gas and electric fixes, only use certified traders – it’s dangerous to use someone  who doesn’t know what they’re doing. You can check the Gas Safe Register for a list of  traders and use a registered electrician who can certify their own work. 

It’s always helpful to get references or recommendations where possible. Ask your friends,  family or neighbours if they know of anyone they’d recommend. You can also ask the person you hire for examples of work they’ve carried out in the past. Try to avoid contractors who  won’t give references – it’s a sign they could be dishonest. 

When you find someone, ask for a written quote – this is different to an estimate. A quote is  legally binding and the tradesperson can’t change it without a good reason – for example, if  you ask for extra work to be done. It’s worth comparing quotes from several contractors to  make sure you’re getting a fair price. 

Next, get a written contract. This should cover exactly what you’re paying for and everything  you’ve agreed on, including timings, payments, who will pay for materials and any  subcontractors if needed. When it comes to payment, it’s best to opt to pay in stages rather  than upfront. Try to pay by card if you can – this can give you extra safeguards if something  goes wrong.  

Finally, make sure your trader is fully insured. Keep copies of receipts and your written  contract. These will be important as evidence if things go wrong. It’s also helpful to take  photos of any problems if they arise.  If you have a problem with a contractor and you’re not sure what to do, call the Citizens  Advice consumer helpline 0808 223 1133 or talk to an adviser online through the Citizens  Advice website.