Citizens Advice Plymouth depends on its volunteers to deliver face to face and telephone information, advice, advocacy and preventative education to the clients who need us.
We helped over 11,000 people across the city last year, dealing with nearly 78,000 enquiries and helping our client’s access over a £1 million of income. We also deliver national projects such as our Utility advice projects.
Are you someone who loves social media? Are you looking for a volunteering role that really makes a difference? We’re looking for a Social Media Volunteer to join our Research, Campaigns and Communications team supporting us with social media content.
You will be innovative and creative, posting on a range of social media platforms, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. You will assist us in increasing our online presence, widening awareness of what we do, local and national change-making campaigns and gaining more followers.
What will you do?
- Complete an introduction to Citizens Advice Plymouth
- Assisting with attractive, informative and inclusive content creation for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to promote the organisation and raise awareness of various social policy issues.
- Support the Research, Campaigns and Communications team to utilise social media to increase number of followers and potential volunteers.
- Collaborate with other team members, other organisation’s departments to identify promotional needs.
- Research and promotion of awareness days our users may find useful/helpful.
- Keep up to date with legislation and sources of information.
What’s in it for you?
- Make a real difference to people’s lives.
- Learn about social media strategy for charities and how tailor messaging for different type of audience.
- Build on valuable skills such as communication, listening and problem solving, and increase your employability.
- Work with a range of different people, independently and in a team.
- Have a positive impact in your community.
- Receive reimbursement for reasonable travel expenses.
What do you need to have?
- Demonstrate commitment to the Citizens Advice aims, principles and policies.
- Be friendly, approachable and respectful of views and cultures that are different to your own.
- Have excellent listening skills.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication.
- Good understanding of social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn)
- Having hands-on other content creation such as videography, photography, GIFs, graphic design is welcome
- Have excellent IT skills.
- Be aware of latest social media trends and etiquettes
- Knowledge and experience of drafting text, choosing relevant hashtags, links
- Be able to act sensitively around emotive topics.
- Willingness to undertake training in order to improve your own skills and knowledge.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
How much time do you need to give?
We ask for 8 hours per week minimum, which can be over one day or spread over two days, for at least 12 months. All training and volunteering is completed within our Cobourg House office. Our training plan is tailored to each role, and you will need to attend the office on a fixed day each week to complete your training. Your volunteering time after this will be determined in consideration of your availability and our service coverage.
Our volunteers come from a range of backgrounds, and we particularly welcome applications from people with physical or mental health conditions, LGBT+ and non-binary people, and people from Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities.